Sunday, April 01, 2007

LOOKING AHEAD

I've always been the type that has a really hard time picturing what things will be like in the future. It always seems so far away with so many things to take into consideration...how can I possibly guess what things will be like? Well, luckily my saving grace is that I'm pretty good about setting goals for myself and doing all that I can to achieve them. I don't expect every one of them to come true, but the least I can do is try.

I've lived my entire life in Southern California and I wouldn't have spent the last 21 years anywhere else. This is where my friends are, where my family is, and the fact that it's pretty darn beautiful here doesn't hurt either. That having been said, I'd love to be able to work in the place that I grew up in. I know it's very difficult to break into the Southern California market so I don't plan on sticking around here immediately after graduation, but if I can eventually work my way back to L.A. or San Diego once my job crusade has settled down a little bit I'd be living the high life.

I realize that there is much more to be seen and learned outside of California. Working on the east coast presents tremendous opportunities and having a job that works internationally holds potential that I almost cannot even comprehend. I never want to rule out any of those kinds of jobs...in fact I welcome the opportunities! I'm sure it would be invaluable for me to get out there and expand my skills in places that are foreign to me. But what it really gets back down to is the honing my abilities as a journalist that so I can apply them in a happy (and hopefully lucrative) career back home in SoCal.

So whether I'm the next Chuck Henry out in the field all over Southern California or Ron Burgundy having a good time in San Diego, I welcome the future and look forward to what it holds for me. I know there will be good times and bad times, but all I can do is close my eyes, hold my breath and dive in, hoping that when I surface I'll be exactly where I want to be.

No comments: